Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Hair Club Featuring Captain Caveman by TJ Dietsch

When Mel suggested we draw Captain Caveman this week, I figured I could take it easy and just do a quick version of a childhood favorite. Instead, I found it difficult to really capture CC's essence. I think it's the eye/nose combination that really makes him unique. Anyway, I decided to make things harder on myself by setting this drawing in a dance club and adding Cousin It and Hair Bear to the mix. Plus turntables. Anyway, here's the original, pres-Photoshop version.

After scanning it, I went through and basically bleached everything but the black lines by using the paintbucket tool to make just about everything white. I've found the more I do of this, the easier it is to go through and add color in big waves as opposed to really intricate work. I apparently didn't do enough though as this piece still took a lot of zooming in an altering. I then grabbed some images online of the characters and used the eyedropper to match the colors. After that it was just a matter of adding the other colors and patters. And voila, here's the finished product.

4 comments:

Mel Caylo said...

I LOVE THIS!

TJ Dietsch said...

It's all for you!

Kid Elemnt said...

I need to party with these guys...

Sean T. Collins said...

The color version really kicks it into high gear. It's the wallpaper, I think.

Post a Comment