Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Geistspell by Sean



I am not an artist. Heh, to a fault. But I am a doodler, and this drawing was made with my preferred media: Uniball pen on blank white paper. And it's a reference to my preferred musical: Godspell.

What happened was that I didn't just want to ape the angular eyebrows and sinister grin Geist sports on the Hero House cover. So I drew his mouth into what I thought was going to be a sneer. Then I inverted his eyebrows so he'd look worried rather than pissed off. This had the effect of making his "sneer" look like a plea for help. Combine this with the off-model length I gave his ratty hair and that prominent Hero House logo on his t-shirt, and I started thinking of Jesus and his Superman shirt during the crucifixion in Stephen Schwartz's wonderful musical. A few paraphrased quotes from the lyrics to "Finale" and boom, a sketch with cross-market appeal to both superhero fans and musical theater devotees. Since the LAW includes several of both, including Geist's creator Justin, I figured this would be spun gold.

3 comments:

Zach Oat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zach Oat said...

Next character we draw should be Bernardo from Wes Side Story. Or the magical Mister Mistoffelees.

Sean T. Collins said...

AGREED

Post a Comment